Stamford, Conn. – May 11, 2023 — NBC Sunday Night Football, America’s No. 1 primetime television show for an unprecedented 12 consecutive years, is the home to the best and the brightest in 2023, headlined by: Patrick Mahomes and the Chiefs raising their Super Bowl banner before hosting Jared Goff and the Detroit Lions in NFL Kickoff 2023; Mahomes and Aaron Rodgers facing off for the first time (Chiefs at Jets) in Week 4; an NFC Playoff rematch as Dak Prescott and the Dallas Cowboys visit Christian McCaffrey and the San Francisco 49ers (Week 5); and concluding with the pressure-packed Week 18 season finale (recent thrillers: 2022 Lions win by four over Packers in Rodgers’ final game with Green Bay, unforgettable 2021 Chargers-Raiders OT). Then it’s on to the postseason, where NBC Sports will showcase games across the first two weekends of the NFL Playoffs.
For the first time, Peacock will be the exclusive home of an NFL game, Josh Allen and the Buffalo Bills visit Justin Herbert and the Los Angeles Chargers in a primetime matchup of AFC playoff teams at 8:00 p.m. ET on Saturday, Dec. 23. The Peacock exclusive immediately follows a special SNF Saturday afternoon game (Joe Burrow and the AFC North champion Cincinnati Bengals vs. Kenny Pickett and the division rival Pittsburgh Steelers) at 4:30 p.m. ET on NBC and Peacock.
Peacock will once again stream all NBC Sunday Night Football games, including the playoffs, and the Football Night in America studio show. The exclusive Peacock Sunday Night Football Final returns with expanded postgame coverage following SNF each week.
This season’s SNF schedule is jam-packed with the league’s star signal callers, 10 matchups featuring two ’22 playoff teams, and an SNF-high three appearances apiece by the Super Bowl champion Kansas City Chiefs and Dallas Cowboys.
The SNF announce team of Mike Tirico, Cris Collinsworth, and Melissa Stark – all Sports Emmy nominees in their respective categories – return for their second season together.
Highlights of the 2023 NBC Sunday Night Football schedule:
- The season begins with NFL Kickoff 2023 on Thursday, Sept. 7 at GEHA Field at Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City, Mo., as NFL MVP Patrick Mahomes and the Kansas City Chiefs, winners of two of the last four Super Bowls, host Jared Goff and the Detroit Lions, who won 8 of their final 10 games last season.
- In the season opener of Sunday Night Football on Sunday, Sept. 10, a pair of NFC East playoff teams meet as Daniel Jones and the New York Giants host Dak Prescott and the Dallas Cowboys. The matchup marks the series-high fifth time that the Cowboys and Giants have met in the opening NBC Sunday Night Football game.
- The eagerly anticipated Mahomes-Rodgers matchup takes center stage on Oct. 1 as the Chiefs visit the Jets in the first-ever meeting of NFL and Super Bowl MVPs. In another matchup of former Super Bowl starting QBs, Rodgers and the Jets visit the Las Vegas Raiders and their new signal caller Jimmy Garoppolo on Nov. 12.
- Following Mahomes-Rodgers, the SNF slate of star-studded QB matchups continues with the first NFL meeting of teammates from the 2017 national champion Alabama Crimson Tide as Tua Tagovailoa and the Miami Dolphins visit Jalen Hurts and the NFC champion Philadelphia Eagles on Oct. 22, followed a week later by Justin Fields and the Chicago Bears at Justin Herbert and the Los Angeles Chargers. In November it’s a rematch of last season’s AFC Divisional Playoff with Josh Allen and the Buffalo Bills facing Joe Burrow and the Cincinnati Bengals (Nov. 5), and Lamar Jackson and the Baltimore Ravens visiting Herbert and the Chargers on Thanksgiving weekend (Nov. 26). Key matchups in December include Hurts and the Eagles visiting Prescott and the Cowboys (Dec. 10) and Jackson and the Ravens at Trevor Lawrence and the AFC South champion Jacksonville Jaguars (Dec. 17).
- Three playoff rematches: A storied regular and postseason rivalry is renewed on Oct. 8 when the Cowboys visit the 49ers. The teams, opponents in six NFC Championship Games, have met in the last two postseasons (both 49ers’ victories). Less than a month later, on Nov. 5, the Bills and Bengals meet in Cincinnati. Three weeks later, in the first-ever Thanksgiving game in Seattle, the Seahawks host the 49ers in a rematch of last year’s NFC Wild Card game (a 49ers’ win).
- Matchup milestones: Cowboys-Eagles on Dec. 10 is the 16th meeting between the NFC East rivals on SNF – the most-played matchup in NBC SNF history (since 2006) ranking just ahead of Cowboys-Giants (Sept. 10), who meet for the 13th time.
NBC SPORTS TO PRESENT 25 NFL GAMES IN 2023: On NBC and Peacock, NBC Sports will present 20 regular-season games, including 18 regular-season Sunday Night Football games, NFL Kickoff 2023, and the annual Thanksgiving night game. For the first time, Peacock will be the exclusive home of an NFL game. NBC Sports will present three postseason games on NBC and Peacock – with two Wild Card Playoff games and one Divisional Playoff game. NBC and Peacock will also be home to the Pro Football Hall of Fame Game featuring the New York Jets against the Cleveland Browns on Thursday, Aug. 3.
TELEMUNDO DEPORTES TO PRESENT ENTIRE NBC SUNDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL SCHEDULE, INCLUDING PLAYOFFS: Telemundo Deportes will again provide exclusive Spanish-language coverage of the entire NBC Sunday Night Football package, including playoffs. Games will also be available on live stream via the Telemundo Deportes app.
NFL PLAYOFF SCHEDULE ON NBC, PEACOCK & TELEMUNDO DEPORTES: On the weekend of January 13-14, NBC, Peacock and Telemundo Deportes will deliver multiple Wild Card Playoff games, including the primetime Sunday Wild Card playoff game, followed by a Divisional Playoff game on the weekend of January 20-21.
NBCSPORTS.COM & NBC SPORTS APP TO LIVE STREAM ALL NBC NFL GAMES: NBCSports.com and the NBC Sports app will stream all NBC games to desktops, mobile, tablets, and connected TVs via authentication, giving consumers additional value to their subscription service, and making high-quality content available to MVPD customers both in and out of the home and on multiple platforms. The full HD-quality video stream will come directly from NBC’s broadcasts.
SNF ON PACE TO BE TELEVISION’S NO. 1 PRIMETIME SHOW FOR RECORD 12TH CONSECUTIVE YEAR: Sunday Night Football topped all primetime television series in the fall and is once again pacing to finish as primetime’s #1 TV show in all key metrics for an unprecedented 12th consecutive year. NBC’s SNF extended its record for the most consecutive years atop the charts (since 1950), based on official live plus same day data provided by Nielsen.
Most Consecutive Years, #1 Ranked Show in Primetime, Since 1950
12 years in a row – Sunday Night Football (2011-12 through 2022-23)
6 years in a row – American Idol (2005-06 through 2010-11)
5 years in a row – The Cosby Show (1985-86 through 1989-90)…tied Cheers in ‘89-90
5 years in a row – All in the Family (1971-72 through 1975-76)
4 years in a row – Gunsmoke (1957-58 through 1960-61)
2023 NBC SUNDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL SCHEDULE
Thurs. Sept. 7 | NFL Kickoff | Detroit Lions at Kansas City Chiefs
Sun. Sept. 10 | Week 1 | Dallas Cowboys at New York Giants
Sun. Sept. 17 | Week 2 | Miami Dolphins at New England Patriots
Sun. Sept. 24 | Week 3 | Pittsburgh Steelers at Las Vegas Raiders
Sun. Oct. 1 | Week 4 | Kansas City Chiefs at New York Jets
*Sun. Oct. 8 | Week 5 | Dallas Cowboys at San Francisco 49ers
*Sun. Oct. 15 | Week 6 | New York Giants at Buffalo Bills
*Sun. Oct. 22 | Week 7 | Miami Dolphins at Philadelphia Eagles
*Sun. Oct. 29 | Week 8 | Chicago Bears at L.A. Chargers
*Sun. Nov. 5 | Week 9 | Buffalo Bills at Cincinnati Bengals
*Sun. Nov. 12 | Week 10 | N.Y. Jets at Las Vegas Raiders
*Sun. Nov. 19 | Week 11 | Minnesota Vikings at Denver Broncos
**Thurs. Nov. 23 | Week 12 | San Francisco 49ers at Seattle Seahawks
*Sun. Nov. 26 | Week 12 | Baltimore Ravens at L.A. Chargers
*Sun. Dec. 3 | Week 13 | Kansas City Chiefs at Green Bay Packers
*Sun. Dec. 10 | Week 14 | Philadelphia Eagles at Dallas Cowboys
*Sun. Dec. 17 | Week 15 | Baltimore Ravens at Jacksonville Jaguars
Sat. Dec. 23 (4:30 p.m. ET) | Week 16 | Cincinnati Bengals at Pittsburgh Steelers
Sat. Dec. 23(8:00 p.m. ET) | Week 16 | Buffalo Bills at L.A. Chargers *PEACOCK*
*Sun. Dec. 31 | Week 17 | Green Bay Packers at Minnesota Vikings
*Sun. Jan. 7 | Week 18 | TBD
** Thanksgiving Night Game
FLEXIBLE SCHEDULING: This season, “flexible scheduling” for Sunday night may be used twice between Weeks 5-10, and during Weeks 11-15 and Week 17-18. In weeks of the season eligible for “flexible scheduling,” the games listed for Sunday Night Football are tentative and subject to change. Only Sunday afternoon games are eligible to be moved to Sunday night, in which case the tentatively scheduled Sunday night game would be moved to a Sunday afternoon.
Flexible scheduling ensures quality matchups in all Sunday time slots in those weeks and gives “surprise” teams a chance to play their way into primetime.
For more information about NBC Sports shows and properties, including press releases, photos, talent and executive bios and headshots, please visit NBCSportsGroupPressBox.com
–SUNDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL–