New York, NY – December 2, 2022 — This Thanksgiving weekend, NBCUniversal delivered record-breaking numbers across its unmatched programing lineup translating to scaled reach and impact for marketers across NBCUniversal’s One Platform. Families and viewers of all ages were highly engaged and invested in not only the content but also the creative advertising integrated throughout the weekend, with younger adult viewers particularly attracted to the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™.
On Thanksgiving Day alone, NBCUniversal reached close to 40% of the ad market, achieving nearly 100M viewers just hours before the biggest shopping day of the year – a critical time for advertisers. This year, the shopping weekend broke records with $9.12 billion in online sales on Black Friday alone, and over 196 million consumers who shopped both in stores and online throughout the weekend, up 17 million from 2021 according to data from Adobe Analytics and the National Retail Federation and Prosper Insights & Analytics. These historic numbers further prove the value of staying top of mind for marketers, and how partnering with NBCUniversal truly drives impactful results, especially during the biggest shopping season of the year.
NBCUniversal continuously excelled cross-platform reaching over 50% of the US adult population, further demonstrating how NBCUniversal’s One Platform elevates partner experiences and provides a scaled marketing reach superior to competitors.
From the 2022 Macy’s Thanksgiving Parade, to the Thanksgiving Primetime NFL Match-Up, FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™ and more, please see below for key ad metrics sourced from a variety of NBCUniversal’s measurement partners including, Adobe, EDO, iSpot.tv, Marketcast and Nielsen:
NBCUniversal Programming Delivers Massive Advertising Impact
Across NBCUniversal, brands saw stronger Ad Memorability, Message Memorability, Brand Memorability and Ad Likeability vs. the average competitive program on Thanksgiving Day. Not only are tentpole programs proving massive reach, but they are also leading to greater brand retention.
- The 96th Annual Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade delivered 18% stronger Ad Message Memorability for brands vs. competitive programming on Thanksgiving Day, leading to more engagement and purchase intent, especially heading into the pivotal holiday shopping weekend.
- NBC’s Thanksgiving night NFL matchup between the New England Patriots and the Minnesota Vikings not only dominated consumption metrics – averaging a TAD of more than 26M across NBC TV, Peacock, Telemundo, NBC Sports Digital, and NFL Digital platforms – but also delivered stronger Ad Impact for brands across Ad, Brand & Message Memorability as well as Ad Likeability compared to other NFL Regular Season Thanksgiving Day games on multiple competitive broadcast networks.
- Ads across the Telemundo FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 on Thanksgiving Day saw 57% stronger Ad Likeability versus competitive Spanish language sports norm leading to 2.2x stronger purchase intent.
- NBC’s airing of “Late Night with Seth Meyers” on Thanksgiving Day was the most-watched “Late Night” in three years and saw 14% stronger Ad Memorability and 11% stronger Ad Likeability vs. competitive programming on Thanksgiving Day, giving marketers an extra boost with the night owls.
NBCUniversal Programming Drives Brand Interest
Brands who activated across NBCUniversal and Telemundo’s platforms on Thanksgiving Day saw an increase in overall brand engagement amongst viewers of all ages, resulting in an impressive ROI for advertisers. This engagement continued throughout the weekend within every record-breaking World Cup match.
- NBC’s 2022 Thanksgiving Day programming generated +33% more brand searches vs. the prior year NBC 2021 Thanksgiving Day Programming. This year over year growth demonstrates that NBCUniversal is moving consumers down the purchase funnel.
- Throughout Thanksgiving Day, NBCUniversal’s key programming (Parade, Dog Show, NFL, World Cup) accounted for nearly one-fifth of all advertising search engagement across the media landscape, outpacing broadcast competitors.
- The 96th Annual Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade was an especially strong performer, with advertisers seeing over 4x higher rate of Search Engagement than that of the average competitive broadcast program, and The 2022 National Dog Show presented by Purina outperformed the competitive broadcast benchmark by over 3x.
- NFL Football on NBC Thanksgiving Day viewers’ rate of search for advertised brands outperformed the competitive broadcast benchmark by over 3x. It would take 27.5 ads in a competitive Broadcast program to generate the same amount of search as 1 unit in the NFL on NBC.
- The 2022 FIFA World Cup Qatar continues to dominate this holiday season, outpacing the 2018 World Cup on TAD, streaming and social engagement. Viewers are searching for Telemundo World Cup advertisers at a +14% higher search rate than advertisers in other live sports on Spanish language TV – with 1 unit in the Spanish-language World Cup coverage delivering as much search engagement as 8.5 units in those other telecasts.
- Plus, overall engagement among younger adult viewers has outpaced previous World Cups, coinciding with the renewed relevance for Spanish-Language advertisers resulting in greater loyalty to brands advertising.
As NBCUniversal looks ahead to big entertainment tentpoles including People’s Choice Awards (December 6, 2022) and Golden Globes (January 10, 2023) and then further ahead to major live sporting events including FIFA Women’s World Cup Australia & New Zealand 2023™, Big Ten Football, and the 2024 Paris Olympic and Paralympic Games, this data not only demonstrates the value of live event programming for marketers, but also further demonstrates how the power of NBCUniversal’s One Platform is a highly visible and thus actionable experience clients and partners cannot get anywhere else.